Bookmark and Share

Friday, April 18, 2014

Day 17 of April Poem A Day!!



Today's prompt inspired me to write two poems. Here they are:

April 17, 2014
Prompt: Write a poem about anything in pop culture


POP CULTURE
I’ve lived through it all
The Beatniks with their
black on black and triangle
beards
The Hippies with their long
skirts and flowing shirts
their long hair festooned with
flowers and arms trailing in
the air proclaiming peace and
love
The war protests and the
sit ins visited but never involved
The self awareness of the 80′s
with its big hair and big shoulders
The disillusionment of the 90′s
and the rise of Goths wearing
black nail polish and black
clothes
The despair of the turn of the
century when our world blew
up in front of our eyes and
a piece of our country dissolved
in the rubble
I’ve been to see The Rolling Stones,
the Kinks, the Who and the Beach Boys
and their music has been the
soundtrack of my life
and I have experienced both
Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen
in person and Leonard Cohen with
his soulful laments
I listen to country and rock music
and get carried away by the strains
of Mozart
Musical theater is my favorite as
I hear familiar tunes
I am dual centuried with one half
in the twentieth and the other
striding along in the twenty-first
anticipating all it will bring
copyright 2014 by Barbara Ehrentreu


Ode to Betty Boop
She came out of an inkwell
Probably no one under the
age of sixty remembers
and as he the cartoonist
drew her features and this
big eyed fat cheeked and
impossibly thin woman
came onto the movie screen
I fell in love with her.
Her boop oop a doop
and her red rosebud mouth
makes me smile and I have
surrounded myself with
statues of her in every possible
action
She is the ultimate American girl
with her satin gowns and feather boa
She can be a soldier or a nurse
a stewardess or pop out of a
champagne glass with her legs
kicking in the air
Her eyes are big and round
and she always looks surprised
Frozen in ceramic beauty she
brings me joy in all sizes
copyright 2014 by Barbara Ehrentreu

Until the next time, again thank you all for reading these and I hope you are enjoying them. I am a day late, but yesterday was very busy. My husband finally got out of the hospital and he is back in Burke Rehabilitation Center to get back his strength. We are hoping this time he will stay well and get stronger. 

I will be posting today's poems later. Again, thanks for the tweets and retweets. I really appreciate that. You can also leave a comment here. I moderate them so you won't see it right away. Keep writing and reading poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit the Home of the Fightin’ Bookworms!
Visit the National Gallery of Writing
Shop Indie Bookstores

VisualDNAShops

BlogCatalog

Discover Writing